Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Reflection

On the way Scott and I had a lot of time to talk and reflect about everything. I was so glad that we had our family home evening with the kids. We listened to a couple of conference talks. One was from Elder Packer about the Priesthood. He shared an example of a boy needing a blessing and even though a Stake President was there that could do it, he advised that the blessing needed to come from the father who presides over the home. We had a special experience prior to leaving in which President Peterson, Bishop Hartley, Dad, Uncle Vaughn, and Ruben all helped Scott give a very special blessing to Kacie. I couldn't believe how fitting that talk was that we had just heard and I am so grateful for the Priesthood power that is in our home. Another thing I thought about was my Relief Society Lesson Sunday about prayer. I shared a quote from President Uchtdorf which said:

The children of Israel waited 40 years in the wilderness before they could enter the promised land. Jacob waited 7 long years for Rachel. The Jews waited 70 years in Babylon before they could return to rebuild the temple. The Nephites waited for a sign of Christ’s birth, even knowing that if the sign did not come, they would perish. Joseph Smith’s trials in Liberty Jail caused even the prophet of God to wonder, “How long?”

In each case, Heavenly Father had a purpose in requiring that His children wait. Every one of us is called to wait in our own way. We wait for answers to prayers. We wait for things which at the time may appear so right and so good to us that we can’t possibly imagine why Heavenly Father would delay the answer. We must learn that in the Lord’s plan, our understanding comes “line upon line, precept upon precept.”

In short, knowledge and understanding come at the price of patience. Often the deep valleys of our present will be understood only by looking back on them from the mountains of our future experience. Often we can’t see the Lord’s hand in our
lives until long after trials have passed. Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness.
I don't know why we had to wait for a family to lose a loved one before Kacie could have a kidney. But I do know that it is all in God's hands. Our good friend was almost done with his testing but Holy Rosary had made a mistake on one of his tests and we were waiting for him to repeat it. Had they not have done that Kacie would have been taken off the deceased donor list. Another Divine intervention? Also I can't believe this happened the same week that Kaylin passed away. I hope she was able to thank the donor for this incredible gift of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful.
So grateful for everyday tender mercies.
Grateful for you and yours...give everyone a squeeze for us.

rosie said...

That is so beautiful! Tammy, you are such an incredible example to me! You have been patient through all of this and had a good attitude. I am afraid I would not handle all of this as gracious as you have!
I am glad you had that testimony builder of your lesson on prayer and your FHE. Heavenly Father is mindful of your family! I believe one day He will say to you, "Well Done thou good and faithful servant!" He loves you so much and so do we! XOXO