Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lots of Questions For The Doc

Today we hit Dr. Jenkins with a ton of questions. Kacie's number one question was if we could postpone the transplant to after the New Year. November 10th was the earliest we could get a surgery date with Dr. Barry and Kacie wasn't too thrilled with the idea of having it done just before Thanksgiving and Christmas. Dr. Jenkins thought Kacie had enough residual kidney function that she would be fine and hopefully some of the flu season will be over by then. His only request was that we didn't interfere with his skiing trip. Kacie's second question was if she could skip a night of dialysis so she could go with her class on the overnight trip to McCall next Wednesday and he said she could. I'm beginning to think that Kacie has Dr. Jenkins wrapped around her little finger:) Another concern we have had is all the scaring Kacie is getting in her veins from all the blood work. He said they would consider putting in a pick-line during the transplant and leave it in for a month because she will be getting blood work done three times a week after the surgery. I then asked him about flu shots. He said Kacie needed the regular flu shot and the H1N1 flu shot and if we could swing it the rest of our family needed them as well.

I also updated Dr. Jenkins about Brandon's extreme high blood pressure. Last Friday night Brandon started getting bad headaches and then Saturday night it finally dawned on me that it might be his blood pressure causing the headaches. After I took his blood pressure I just about died when it read 178 over 131. Dr. Jenkins wants us to rule out any problems with Brandon's shunt first then see him next Wednesday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sounded so good on the phone yesterday! And I think you're right that Kacie has the doc wrapped around her little finger, but why wouldn't she...she's a sweetheart. I hope the appt. with Brandon goes okay and they can figure out what is making his blood pressure spike like that. Thanks for the updates. Love you!

rosie said...

I am so glad to hear that Kacie will be able to go to McCall with all of her friends and be home for the holidays!
We will keep you all in our prayers...especially Brandon right now! We hope he can feel better soon! He is such a trooper!
We love you guys!

houstons said...

We love you all and you all continue to be inour prayers daily. By the way, love the new background on your page.