Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thanks Alan & Tami

We had an overwhelming yet good trip to Portland Mar. 3-6. Kacie had several tests done and I had my blood drawn as well to see how compatible we are. We had a lot of information thrown at us. Kacie held up really well on the trip. She had her first airplane ride. Alan and Tami went with us and we can't begin to thank them enough for all the support they have been to us. Our new hospital code we will have to learn at Dornbeckers.
Day One: EKG, Transplant Education Class, Transplant Evaluation Clinic where we met with the surgeon and other doctors (Kacie has some sinus issues we have to resolve 1st before the transplant). Then we both had, which seemed like a ton, of blood drawn (about 10 tubes each).

Day Two: Abdominal Ultrasound, Chest X-ray and Bone Age test. Then we met with a Nutritionist and a Social Worker.

Dr. Barry (the surgeon) is a man of very few words. He said that Kacie and I reminded him of his daughters because of our eye color. We found out later from the Nutritionist that he decides who gets a transplant based on their blood work. If a patient does well taking care of themselves (aka taking all their medications) he will approve it. Also that he is the best in the country and teaches transplantation all over the world and now works with just pediatrics.

5 comments:

Pam And Scott said...

I'm glad things are prgressing. Kacie looks like she's hanging in there!! You guys are going through so much. We are pryaing for you!

houstons said...

WOW, what alot of information. I am so glad that you guys are blessed to have such a world renowned and informed doctor. That must bring some peace. I am so glad that you all are safe and back home again. We continue to pray everyday for a miracle, but until then just know we love you both and that you are an inspiration to us all.

Anonymous said...

We were glad that we could go with you and Kacie to Portland...we learned a lot, too! It was a ton of information and I'm glad you had a tape recorder to use trying to remember it all. I enjoyed going with you and Brandon yesterday to his appointments, too. You amaze me every day with your strength to do hard things. I love you!
PS...Alan said your Mutual activity went good for you, so now you can relax for a minute! :)

rosie said...

Thanks for posting these pictures! It is so nice to try and visualize what your trip was like. You guys are amazing! We pray that the Doctors will be inspired and that everything will go well.
You are in our constant prayers! We love you guys so much!

P.S. Tammy and Alan you are angels on earth! Thanks for everything you do for them.

rosie said...

I forgot to ask what the "new code" is that you have to learn?

P.S. Tami, sorry for spelling your name wrong, out of habit I spelled it like my sisters name! :)