Sunday, August 30, 2009

1st Week of School

Kacie had a great 1st week back at school. It has been so fun to see her act like her old self again. Tuesday night her dialysis machine broke and we didn't get her new one until 10:30 pm Wednesday and so I wasn't able to get her dialysis started until after 11:00 pm. However, come Thursday morning she was determined she was going to make it to school so we ended her dialysis early so she could make it to school on time. She seemed to do OK with only 8 1/2 cycles instead of the 10. Later that day she was begging me to postpone the transplant till next summer or even after Christmas. Friday I asked Dr. Jenkins if Kacie has any say in the timing of all of this. He said because the viruses this winter are predicted to be much worse she doesn't. The sooner we get this done the better. We do have a good friend going to Portland on Sept 2nd to hopefully finalize testing. If all goes good there we are hoping by the end of September. The bad news is that because the virus season is suppose to be so bad, Dr. Jenkins is thinking of keeping Kacie out of school until January. This just about broke my heart because Kacie is enjoying school so much.

Thursday we took Brandon to see a Pyschiatrist in Boise (Dr. Pines). He is planning to change up some of his medicine again but this time much slower. Our goal is to get him sleeping at night and more engaged during the day. He also thought Brandon would do better in a home so Mom and I went and toured some. I was impressed by the homes, they are just normal homes built in some of the Meridian subdivisions. However, seeing the other kids put a big lump in my throat. They made Brandon look normal. I don't think I can do this just yet.

3 comments:

Pam And Scott said...

Tammy it sounds like things are on the up with Kaycie. I fell for you with Brandon. I know how hard that chose can be. I remember even in school, I felt that Jordan was much more ahead of all the kids in his class, yet he just couldn't fit in in a normal classroom. Take your time, you will find the perfect place. Sometimes even Brandon will find the perfect friend. Goodluck, we are thinking of you often.

hayleyharts said...

It is so good to hear things are looking good for Kacie. That too breaks my heart to hear that she might have to postpone school. and thanks for sharing about Brandon. We will continue to keep him in our prayers.

Tricia said...

We sure love you guys. I sure hope things go well for all of you. We will keep Brandon and Kacie in our prayers.