Monday, April 6, 2009

Another Trip to Portland


On April Fool's Day I spent the day in Portland having more tests. First I gave more blood and urine samples then I had an ECG done on my heart followed by another boring session with the Social worker. At 11:30 I had to have an IV for a CT scan of my kidneys. It felt like I was on that table for hours and when they injected the dye I thought for sure I peed my pants. I then had a chest and kidney xray. We got done just in time for my appointment with the surgeon at 1:00. We were there until 5:00. I found out that my right kidney is larger than my left, meaning that it is probably the stronger of the two so they would keep it for me and give Kacie the left one, which is easier for the surgeons to work with anyways. I also learned that everyone has an artery and vein to each kidney and I have an artery and two veins to mine so they will have extra to work with. I met another one of the surgeons and I really liked her. Her name is Jordana Gaumond M.D. I'm hoping it works out and she can be my surgeon. She told me that Kacie's case will be presented to a board of surgeons and they will review all of our medical records to determine if it is approved. She said more than likely I will need to have one more test. The surgery could happen in two weeks or two months depending on availability of the OR and if I'm OK to be Kacie's donor.

After we were able to finally leave we visited the Ronald McDonald house near OHSU and then made an attempt at finding another place and got lost and then I got sick. We decided I needed to eat something and by the time we got done we almost missed our flight. I have never been that close before. When we went to check in, the computer said we were too late so we asked the airline and they said since we didn't have any luggage to check we might make it. When we got to security there was a long line and Mom cut right to the front I couldn't believe nobody got mad at us.

I would like to make a special thank you to Becky for shuttling us around and to Mom for traveling with me. It was a long hard day but it will all be worth it in the end.

5 comments:

Love my babes said...

We will be praying overtime for you, Kacie and Brandon. There is a song on the Christian station called "It's my son". It reminds me of you and your kids. Some of the lyrics are "let me take his place for mine, and it's not just anyone he's my son". It just speaks of the great love a parent has for their child in sickness and suffering. Blessings to all of you.

houstons said...

Well Tammy it sounds like things are falling into place for you. I will continue to pray for the healing of Kacie and for everything to go smoothly for everyone. I am really glad you made your flight in time. Thank goodness for traveling LIGHT!!! ;)

rosie said...

Sounds like a FULL day! I am sorry you got sick on the way to the airport. You are truly amazing to me! You are constantly in our prayers and we hope that everything continues to move in the right direction! I thought about you guys a lot during Conference! We love you so much!

hayleyharts said...

Tammy I love reading your updates and you inspire me so much. I think a lot about you guys. And we will continue to keep your sweet family in our prayers.

rosie said...

I recognize that chair and waiting room! That test was really ruthless and in my opinion the reason that you got so sick on your way to the airport!